This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Fwd: PATC: PR target/64409: ICE building Mesa 10.4.0 for x32 ABI
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Uros Bizjak <ubizjak at gmail dot com>
- Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 07:45:17 -0800
- Subject: Fwd: PATC: PR target/64409: ICE building Mesa 10.4.0 for x32 ABI
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20141226183819 dot GA26275 at gmail dot com> <CAFULd4aCprQEciJpcDNhbxvAhsut8gunLR_SB8DWtzCy5zAsXg at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOqQnYsy_Zqvrx1hTiFGnh970wo8_KYD8GiS+w9GN887PQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAFULd4ZGRY6hc1hSN+mO4dgRBTM8kthCgjmf7Hk7ztLaBi_uzA at mail dot gmail dot com>
Oops. Hit the wrong button. I will check it in.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Uros Bizjak <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: PATC: PR target/64409: ICE building Mesa 10.4.0 for x32 ABI
To: "H.J. Lu" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 3:54 PM, H.J. Lu <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 12:44 AM, Uros Bizjak <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 7:38 PM, H.J. Lu <email@example.com> wrote:
>>> There is no counter part of x32 in MS ABI. Issue an error when ms_abi
>>> attribute is used with x32. OK for trunk and branches?
>> Is there a fundamental reason that x32 doesn't support ms_abi? IIRC,
>> x32 uses x86_64 ABI, so I see no reason why ms_abi should be disabled.
>> I think that from the user perspective, ms_abi should "just work" on
>> x32 in the same way as on x86_64.
> The ms_abi attribute is used to call functions written/compiled for
> win64 from the Linux code. You can't call functions written/compiled
> for win64, which is LLP64(LP64?), from the Linux/x32 code since pointer
> size is different. The ms_abi attribute makes no senses in x32.
The patch is OK then, but please post the explanation on the
gcc-patches@ list for archiving purposes.