Re: fatal error: config.h: No such file or directory

On 23/12/14 21:54, Bruce Korb wrote:
> On 12/23/14 09:07, Aldy Hernandez wrote:
>> Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> writes:

>>> It's probably because you are building in srcdir.  That is not
>>> supported.
>>
>> Hmm, newbies run into this often enough that I wonder whether we should
>> just error out from the configuration stage.
>
> Yeah, we newbies who've only been fiddling it for 15 years.
> I think it a good idea.  My script that does the configure & build
> is much newer though.  It's only about 5 years old.
>
> Good error messages are really, really, really important --
> especially if you are changing requirements.  Someone from
> the distant dusty past may wind up with a stubbed toe.
>
> Oh, another point:
>
> Some projects cannot be built with separate source/build directories
> and some projects (like yours) cannot be build without separation.
> So the real question is, Does it really save enough development effort
> that it is not worth doing the "you can build it either way" way?

We'd have to test it and we'd have to test building in a separate
subdir.  That's a big testing effort, and it's a question of whether
it's a good way for us to spend our own time and that of our build
boxes.  I say no, and agree that Aldy has a good point.

Andrew.