RE: A Question About LRA/reload

-----Original Message-----
From: gcc-owner@gcc.gnu.org [mailto:gcc-owner@gcc.gnu.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Law
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2014 11:26 PM
To: Vladimir Makarov; lin zuojian; gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: A Question About LRA/reload

On 12/09/14 10:10, Vladimir Makarov wrote:
> generate the correct code in many cases even for x86.  Jeff Law tried
> IRA coloring reusage too for reload but whole RA became slower
> (although he achieved performance improvements on x86).
>>Right.  After IRA was complete, I'd walk over the unallocated allocnos and split their ranges at EBB boundaries.  That created new allocnos with a smaller ??>>conflict set and reduced the conflict set for the original unallocated allocnos.

Jeff: In the above approach of splitting the ranges for unallocated allocnos is aggressive or based on the approach
 of some heuristics that the Live ranges for unallocated allocnos is not touched inside the EBBs.

>>After I'd done that splitting for all the EBBs, I called back into ira_reassign_pseudos to try to assign the original unallocated allocnos as well as the new >>allocnos.

>>To get good results, much of IRA's cost analysis had to be redone from scratch.  And from a compile-time standpoint, that's a killer.

>>The other approach I was looking at was a backwards walk through each block.  When I found an insn with an unallocated pseudo that would trigger one of >>various range spliting techniques to try and free up a hard register.  Then again I'd call into ira_reassign_pseudos to try the allocations again.  This got even >>better results, but was obviously even more compile-time expensive.

After the above splitting, are you building the conflict graph again to assign the new allocnos. If the Conflict graph is built again,
this will affect the compile time.

Thanks & Regards
Ajit
I don't think much, if any, of that work is relevant given the current structure and effectiveness of LRA.

jeff