This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: What is R_X86_64_GOTPLT64 used for?
- From: Michael Matz <matz at suse dot de>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: "x86-64-abi at googlegroups dot com" <x86-64-abi at googlegroups dot com>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 14:12:29 +0100 (CET)
- Subject: Re: What is R_X86_64_GOTPLT64 used for?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAMe9rOqb0g2asAe6UZ0hxh8jFf-+eBiaez0pLrPjd0oqVdP0Rg at mail dot gmail dot com> <alpine dot LNX dot 2 dot 00 dot 1411131717220 dot 405 at wotan dot suse dot de> <CAMe9rOrTg=YtVZ1EqN7ha8qUPSXzms20eMU51txVAmL3+cUsQQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOrnQRo3XXowAEcd_h=i_i5v04=i=kLWjm2ANduv8MwhYQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <alpine dot LNX dot 2 dot 00 dot 1411171425020 dot 405 at wotan dot suse dot de> <CAMe9rOqbXt-ea2vVWtLNM2mVZaLVeBGRvp=eLB-7UQ9xXp7_5g at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Mon, 17 Nov 2014, H.J. Lu wrote:
> It has nothing to do with large model.
Yes, I didn't say so. I've used it only to force GCC to emit @GOT relocs
(otherwise it would have used @GOTPCREL) to disprove your claim.
> The same thing happens to small model. We may be to able optimize it,
> independent of GOTPLT.
Yes, if we were to optimize this, the difference between GOT and GOTPLT
would be very minor.
> In any case, -mcmodel=large shouldn't change program behavior.
No, it shouldn't of course.