Re: warning about const multidimensional array as function parameter

Am Tue, 14 Oct 2014 00:05:47 +0100
Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com>:

> On 14 October 2014 00:01, Martin Uecker wrote:
> > Manuel LÃpez-IbÃÃez <lopezibanez@gmail.com>:
> >
> > Thank you for your quick response.

> >> This will be controlled by a new option in GCC 5.0.
> >>
> >> For the details and the answer to your other questions, see
> >> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#constmismatch
> >
> > The option '-Wincompatible-pointer-types' would turn of all
> > warnings about incompatible pointers. I want a specific options
> > to turn of the completely pointless warning about converting
> > to pointers to constant arrays, which warns about something
> > which is actually completely safe.
>
> It isn't complete safe. http://c-faq.com/ansi/constmismatch.html

A pointer to an array is not the same thing as a pointer to a pointer.

Converting a pointer to an array to a pointer to a constant array
is safe. Converting a pointer to a pointer to a pointer to a pointer
to a constant is not (as the CFAQ points out).

-- Martin