Re: Autotuning parameters/heuristics within gcc - best place to start?

Robert Stevenson <9golive9@gmail.com> writes:

> I am planning to begin a project to explore the space of tuning gcc
> internals in an effort to increase performance. I am wondering if
> anyone can point to me any parameterizations, heuristics, or
> priorities functions within gcc that can be tuned/adjusted. Some
> general areas I am considering include register allocation and data
> prefetching.

gcc has lots of params (see gcc -v --help=params) for different
areas that can be tuned. If you need more there's a generic
parameters frame work to add. And of course there are lots
of command line flags (see --help)

One example of an existing autotuner is the gccflags tuner in opentuner.

-Andi
--
ak@linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only