Re: [RFC] Add asm constraint modifier to mark strict memory accesses

On 09/18/14 05:19, Yury Gribov wrote:

Would that modifier mean that the inline asm is unconditionally reading
resp. writing that memory? "m"/"=m" right now is always about might
read or might write, not must.

Yes, that's what I had in mind. Many inline asms (at least in kernel) do
read memory region unconditionally.
That's precisely what I'd expect such a modifier to mean. Right now memory modifiers are strictly "may" but I can see a use case for "must".

I think the question is will the kernel or glibc folks use that new capability and if so, do we get a significant improvement in the amount of checking we can do. So I think both those groups need to be looped into this conversation.