This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Backporting KAsan patches to 4.9 branch
- From: Yury Gribov <y dot gribov at samsung dot com>
- To: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- Cc: gcc <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Konstantin Serebryany <konstantin dot s dot serebryany at gmail dot com>, Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov at google dot com>, Konstantin Khlebnikov <k dot khlebnikov at samsung dot com>, Andrey Ryabinin <a dot ryabinin at samsung dot com>, Viacheslav Garbuzov <v dot garbuzov at samsung dot com>
- Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 14:13:30 +0400
- Subject: Re: Backporting KAsan patches to 4.9 branch
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <541AA9ED dot 6040705 at samsung dot com> <20140918095754 dot GC17454 at tucnak dot redhat dot com>
On 09/18/2014 01:57 PM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 01:46:21PM +0400, Yury Gribov wrote:
Kernel Asan patches are currently being discussed in LKML. One of the points
raised during review was that KAsan requires GCC 5.0 which is presumably
unstable (e.g. compilation of kernel modules has been broken for two months
due to https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=61848).
Would it make sense to backport Kasan-related patches to 4.9 branch to make
this feature more accessible to kernel developers? Quick analysis showed
that at the very least this would require
* r211091 (BUILT_IN_ASAN_REPORT_LOAD_N and friends)
* r211092 (instrument unaligned accesses)
* r211713 and r211699 (New asan-instrumentation-with-call-threshold
* r213367 (initial support for -fsanitize=kernel-address)
and also maybe ~10 bugfix patches.
Is it ok to backport these to 4.9? Note that I would discard patches for
other sanitizers (UBsan, Tsan).
I'd say so, if it doesn't need any library changes (especially not any ABI
visible ones, guess bugfixes could be acceptable).
Cool! I'll go for it then.
What asan related patches are still pending review (sorry for missing some)?
Np, AFAIK there are just two:
* add -fasan-shadow-offset
* enable -fsanitize-recover for KAsan by default
Do we have any known regressions in 5 from 4.9?
Not that I know of.