This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] gcc parallel make check
- From: "Bernhard Reutner-Fischer" <rep dot dot dot nop at gmail dot com>
- To: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>, Mike Stump <mikestump at comcast dot net>
- Cc: VandeVondele Joost <joost dot vandevondele at mat dot ethz dot ch>, David Malcolm <dmalcolm at redhat dot com>, <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, <fortran at gcc dot gnu dot org>, <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, <libstdc++ at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 12:58:07 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] gcc parallel make check
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1410381512 dot 28338 dot 9 dot camel at surprise> <20140910210822 dot GK17454 at tucnak dot redhat dot com> <20140910212334 dot GL17454 at tucnak dot redhat dot com> <20140911075123 dot GN17454 at tucnak dot redhat dot com> <20140911080640 dot GP17454 at tucnak dot redhat dot com> <20140911145300 dot GR17454 at tucnak dot redhat dot com> <908103EDB4893A42920B21D3568BFD93150F876D at MBX23 dot d dot ethz dot ch> <908103EDB4893A42920B21D3568BFD93150FE8D2 at MBX13 dot d dot ethz dot ch> <20140912163241 dot GC17454 at tucnak dot redhat dot com> <305370A6-ACBC-4DD4-AF96-32B3503F3388 at comcast dot net> <20140913000430 dot GH17454 at tucnak dot redhat dot com>
On 13 September 2014 02:04:51 Jakub Jelinek <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 04:42:25PM -0700, Mike Stump wrote:
> curious, when I run atomic.exp=stdatom\*.c:
> gcc.dg/atomic/atomic.exp completed in 30 seconds.
> atomic.exp=c\*.c takes 522 seconds with 3, 2, 5 and 4 being the worst
@if [ -z "$(filter-out --target_board=%,$(filter-out
--extra_opts%,$(RUNTESTFLAGS)))" ] \
&& [ "$(filter -j, $(MFLAGS))" = "-j" ]; then \
i.e. if you specify anything in RUNTESTFLAGS other than --target_board= or
--extra_opts, it is not parallelized. This was done previously because
parallelization required setting the flags to something different (manually
created *.exp list). The first  could
Yes, this is very inconvenient, especially in the light of -v in the
runtestflags which should certainly not prohibit parallel execution.
for how I would fix that.. (findstring empty instead of filter-out).
perhaps be removed now, if one e.g.
RUNTESTFLAGS=atomic.exp etc. with sufficiently enough tests, parallelization
will be still worth it. I've been worried about the quick cases where
parallelization is not beneficial, like make check-gcc \
RUNTESTFLAGS=dg.exp=pr60123.c or similar, but one doesn't usually pass -jN
in that case. So yes, the
[ -z "$(filter-out --target_board=%,$(filter-out
can be dropped (not in libstdc++ though, there are abi.exp and
prettyprinters.exp still run serially, though even that could be handled the
struct-layout-1.exp way, of running it by the first instance to encounter
those with small changes in those *.exp files).
Sent with AquaMail for Android