This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
RE: gcc parallel make check
- From: "VandeVondele Joost" <joost dot vandevondele at mat dot ethz dot ch>
- To: Dominique Dhumieres <dominiq at lps dot ens dot fr>, "fortran at gcc dot gnu dot org" <fortran at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Cc: "gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 09:39:36 +0000
- Subject: RE: gcc parallel make check
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20140903093441 dot 0596AFF at mailhost dot lps dot ens dot fr>
> What did you expect for -j alone? an error?
No, as is standard in gnu make, a new process for any target that can be processed (i.e. unlimited).
>> ... check-fortran seems to be limited to about ~5 parallel targets ...
>Running the make with -j8 gives 7 directories gfortran[1-6]? in gcc/testsuite/.
>Note that the load balancing could be improved: few minutes with a single thread
>over ~20 minutes.
I'd like to have roughly 32 directories (or as many of the -jN allows for).