This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: ViewVC is broken on your web site
- From: <Paul_Koning at Dell dot com>
- To: <paolo dot carlini at oracle dot com>
- Cc: <david dot gero at exfo dot com>, <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 19:12:18 +0000
- Subject: Re: ViewVC is broken on your web site
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <7C1656AD8D3DFA4984FB39574B9896FD0AA628CD at SPQCMBX01 dot exfo dot com> <1F92E914-4F42-4AEC-952B-008D74E0D6C9 at dell dot com> <53E27B1F dot 9070103 at oracle dot com>
On Aug 6, 2014, at 2:59 PM, Paolo Carlini <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On 08/06/2014 08:48 PM, Paul_Koning@Dell.com wrote:
>> On Aug 6, 2014, at 2:38 PM, David Gero <email@example.com> wrote:
>>> Accessing https://gcc.gnu.org/viewvc/gcc/trunk/
>>> Says it is showing 38 files. But in fact, it shows only the first 25. As an example, libstdc++-v3 is missing.
>>> Same thing happens in other parts of the tree.
>>> I checked the HTML page source, and the files simply aren't there.
>> The same on https://gcc.gnu.org/viewvc/gcc/trunk/gcc/ — except in that case it claims there should be 712 files, and here too is only shows 25 lines.
>> Time to revert whatever change was made that broke this; as it stands the website is completely unuseable.
> Thus, the widget on top of the page, meant to select the page the user wants to see (eg, 30 pages overall for ../gcc/trunk) does *not* work for you?!? It works perfectly well for me.
It doesn’t work because I didn’t see it, and when I looked at it some more I had no clue what it’s for.
This is not a good way of designing a UI. It’s cryptic, it’s hard to find, the default is questionable, and it doesn’t offer a “see everything” feature. There is no visual indication (other than the “wrong” value of the files count) that the display is incomplete. At the very least, it needs to say “more entries” or “..." before and/or after the subset that is displayed, if a subset is displayed.
But the preferred answer in my mind is to get rid of this thing and go back to displaying the whole page. If you do want to keep the subset thing, at least make it NOT the default.