Re: Does -fdump-tree-original-raw dumps out the full AST?

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM, Francois Berenger
<francois.berenger.working@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Diego Novillo <dnovillo@google.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 7:17 AM, Francois Berenger
>> <francois.berenger.working@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Complete in the sense that, by parsing back this text file
>>> with an external program it would be possible to reconstruct the original AST
>>> that gcc was working on (and dumped out).
>>
>> It isn't. These dumps are meant to be debugging aids. It is not
>> possible to reconstruct the original program out of them.
>
> Would it be possible to make these dumps complete?
> Let's say for the C frontend of gcc.

That's likely to be a significant effort. The tree representation is
not really streamable. The front end keeps a lot of state in-memory
that is not attached to the tree themselves.

There was some preliminary effort to achieve this with the pre-parsed
headers project (a precursor to C++ modules). We've since abandoned
the effort, but you can still get at the code and documentation:
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/pph

Diego.