This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [RFC] Offloading Support in libgomp
- From: Ilya Verbin <iverbin at gmail dot com>
- To: Thomas Schwinge <thomas at codesourcery dot com>, Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Kirill Yukhin <kirill dot yukhin at gmail dot com>, Richard Henderson <rth at redhat dot com>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, triegel at redhat dot com, julian at codesourcery dot com
- Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 16:30:15 +0400
- Subject: Re: [RFC] Offloading Support in libgomp
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20130826141117 dot GF21876 at tucnak dot zalov dot cz> <20130827112609 dot GA4093 at msticlxl57 dot ims dot intel dot com> <20130827113956 dot GH21876 at tucnak dot zalov dot cz> <20130827115538 dot GB4093 at msticlxl57 dot ims dot intel dot com> <20130828093428 dot GO21876 at tucnak dot zalov dot cz> <20130910150126 dot GA2059 at msticlxl57 dot ims dot intel dot com> <20130910151453 dot GB1817 at tucnak dot redhat dot com> <20130910153053 dot GB2059 at msticlxl57 dot ims dot intel dot com> <20130910153624 dot GD1817 at tucnak dot redhat dot com> <20130910153810 dot GC2059 at msticlxl57 dot ims dot intel dot com> <20130913112930 dot GC30181 at msticlxl57 dot ims dot intel dot com> <87tx6go21t dot fsf at kepler dot schwinge dot homeip dot net>
2014-07-17 11:51 GMT+04:00 Thomas Schwinge <firstname.lastname@example.org>:
>> + plugin_path = getenv ("LIBGOMP_PLUGIN_PATH");
> What is the benefit of making this an environment variable that the user
> set to set, LIBGOMP_PLUGIN_PATH, as opposed to hard-coding it to
> somewhere inside the GCC installation directory ([...]/lib/libgomp/*.so)?
> (There, it can still be overridden; dlopen obeys DT_RPATH/DT_RUNPATH, and
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.) Hard-coding it would make libgomp testing a bit
> easier, and it generally seems to make sense to me that the compiler
> (libgomp) should be able to locate its own resources, and I don't think
> the plugin search path is something that a user generally would want to
> override -- or is your use case indeed that the plugin is not built as
> part of libgomp's build process? (But, in this case you still could use
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to have it found.)
We invented this environment variable almost a year ago, when we
didnât fully understand how all the parts will work together. So for
now, likely, your proposal is better.
Jakub, what do you think?
P.S. Michael is no longer working on this, I'm continuing his work.