Re: How can I get started as a GCC developer

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 06:30:54PM +0800, Anonymous User wrote:

I'm not sure that being anonymous is helpful on GCC
(and it might even be frowned upon, but I don't want to start a flamewar) I think that you need and you want
to be identified. Besides, working on GCC is difficult; you'll soon be proud of being able
to work on it, and that also wants you to be identified.

You surely need to start with legal stuff. They take time (perhaps months, and surely weeks!).
Read carefully http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html#legal

Once all is done and signed (both by FSF and you or your employer), add your real name in MAINTAINERS file.

> So how can I gain a systematic understanding of the internals of GCC in
> order to get started with some serious work?

I'm definitely biaised, but I suggest first to be able to write some GCC plugins
(or some MELT extensions, see http://gcc-melt.org/ for more).

Read in particular my latest slides http://gcc-melt.org/gcc-plugin-MELT-LinuxCollabSummit2014.pdf
(GCC plugins thru the MELT examples). They give a lot of pointers.

Don't forget to read http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/grc/

Regards.