Re: PowerPC IEEE 128-bit floating point: Emulation functions

Right now the rs6000 backend of the GCC compiler is rather inconsistant in the
names used for the IBM extended double floating point.

For the basic operations it used __gcc_q<op>:

In theory the conversions also use the __gcc_ format, but while it is set in
rs6000.c, the compiler ignores these names and uses:

This means if have a flag day and change all of long double to IEEE 128-bit, we
run the risk of the user inadvertently calling the wrong function.

As I see it, we have a choice to have something like multilibs where you select
which library to use, or we have to use alternate names for all of the IEEE
128-bit emulation functions.

Michael Meissner, IBM
IBM, M/S 2506R, 550 King Street, Littleton, MA 01460-6245, USA
email:, phone: +1 (978) 899-4797