PowerPC builds broken on 4.9 and trunk

....as reported in PR60102. I'd really hope this could be fixed for 4.9.1 but I'm not sure the relevant people are paying much attention to the issue. Can we at least update the priority/severity of the bug so that it's more likely to show up on the radar?

I did look at trying to fix this myself but I think someone who already has some state on this back end is more likely to come up with an acceptable solution.

-Sandra