This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Darwin bootstrap failure following wide int merge (was: we are starting the wide int merge)
- From: Andrew Pinski <pinskia at gmail dot com>
- To: FX <fxcoudert at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail dot com>, Stan Shebs <stanshebs at earthlink dot net>, Mike Stump <mikestump at comcast dot net>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, glisse at gcc dot gnu dot org, Richard Sandiford <rdsandiford at googlemail dot com>, Kenneth Zadeck <zadeck at naturalbridge dot com>, gcc-patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Gerald Pfeifer <gerald at pfeifer dot com>
- Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 02:26:34 -0700
- Subject: Re: Darwin bootstrap failure following wide int merge (was: we are starting the wide int merge)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <97BE9F46-EB35-4B06-9065-915D7259E701 at gmail dot com> <769D0D77-6DB3-421F-9006-326B0E2B42FE at gmail dot com>
On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 2:22 AM, FX <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> This causes GCC bootstrap to fail on Darwin systems (whose system compiler is clang-based). Since PR 61146 was resolved as INVALID (but Iâm not sure itâs the right call, see below), Iâve filed a separate report for the bootstrap issue (https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=61315).
> Since my PR has been closed twice by Andrew Pinski (âitâs clangâs fault, bouh ouhâ), Iâd ask the maintainers to step in. Can we please provide a GCC that works for the default darwin setup? Or at least drop darwin as secondary target and document the failure?
The failure is again a bug in clang compiler of defining __GNUC__
when they don't fully support GNU C if they want to say it is not a
bug to define __GNUC__ I give up. This is just like the bug a while
back where ICC did the same thing. We need to shame compiler
developers to stop saying they support GNU C without really supporting
Work arounds for broken commercial compilers is something which we
tried back in the 90s; We really should not still be keeping around
any work around for them either.