Re: True "no-exceptions" mode?

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Comments?
>
> Sounds like a coding standard not a compiler multilib target.
>
> If you don't want exceptions don't use them.

If the STL is compiled with exceptions support, I can't get rid
off its overhead. It's not just about not using them, but to
not pay for its overhead (e.g. see newlib).
The 0-overhead principle is violated in this case,
I'm paying for something I don't use in terms of RAM and cost in
HRT applications. That hurts when developing for small-featured
RAM boards.

However, there could be two builds of the STL, one with exceptions
support and another much smaller without; a flag like the one I'm proposing
would be useful to select which one to link with in the target fragment file.

--

Daniel F. Gutson
Chief Engineering Officer, SPD

San Lorenzo 47, 3rd Floor, Office 5

CÃrdoba, Argentina

Phone: +54 351 4217888 / +54 351 4218211

Skype: dgutson