soft-fp functions support without using libgcc

Hi all,
I am trying to provide soft-fp support to a an 18-bit soft-core
processor architecture at my university. But the problem is that
libgcc has not been cross-compiled for my target architecture and some
functions are missing so i cannot build libgcc.I believe soft-fp is
compiled in libgcc so i am usable to invoke soft-fp functions from
libgcc.
It is possible for me to provide soft-fp support without using libgcc.
How should i proceed in defining the functions? Any idea? And does any
archoitecture provide floating point support withoput using libgcc?

Regards
Sheheryar