This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
RE: GCC driver to "Compile twice, score the assembly, choose the best"?
- From: "Ian Bolton" <ian dot bolton at arm dot com>
- To: "'Richard Biener'" <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>
- Cc: "GCC Development" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 12:56:21 +0100
- Subject: RE: GCC driver to "Compile twice, score the assembly, choose the best"?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <5374a933 dot aa91420a dot 654b dot 6ee3SMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN at mx dot google dot com> <CAFiYyc3gEd9RWL+rvEFxsGxLT5cUHC28Ygm0Jw1gSG+M2dLAJQ at mail dot gmail dot com>
Thanks for the quick response.
> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Ian Bolton <email@example.com> wrote:
> > Hi, fellow GCC developers!
> > I was wondering if the "gcc" driver could be made to invoke
> > "cc1" twice, with different flags, and then just keep the
> > better of the two .s files that comes out?
> I'd be interested in your .s comparison tool that decides which one
> is better!
Well, yes, that's the hard part and it could be done a number of ways.
I think it would make a good contest actually, or summer coding
project. Or at least a nice subject for brainstorming at the GNU