Re: Unexpected presence of __eprintf in libgcc.a when using newlib

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 1:42 AM, Thomas Preud'homme
<thomas.preudhomme@arm.com> wrote:

> When playing with a toolchain built with --with-newlib switch, I recently noticed that libgcc.a includes __eprintf among its objects. However, gcc/doc/install.texi states that --with-newlib switches "causes @code{__eprintf} to be omitted from @file{libgcc.a} on the assumption that it will be provided by @samp{newlib}. And indeed, newlib provides __eprintf. Was the logic to omit __eprintf when newlib is used removed at some point for some reason or is it a bug?

I don't think anything uses __eprintf any more.  The function has been
left behind for very very very old systems.  Actually we could
probably remove it now.  Probably the old support for not building
__eprintf when --with-newlib was specified has bitrotted.

Ian