Re: gcc-4.9: How to generate Makefile.in from a modified Makefile.am?

On 27 March 2014 10:25, Svante Signell wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-03-27 at 10:10 +0000, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>> On 27 March 2014 09:35, Svante Signell wrote:
>> > - In an ideal situation no generated files should be shipped with a
>> > distribution, i.e. only configure.ac and Makefile.am, no configure,
>> > Makefile.in Makefile when not needed!
>>
>> But then end users need to have the autotools installed.
>
> I'm talking about people building packages from source, how many end
> users do that? The people building from source are either developers or
> package maintainers and the have these tools installed, for sure.

I'm sorry but that's just not true.

Whether it's a good idea or not, lots of people build GCC from source,
and some don't even seem to be able to read the installation
documentation. Requiring autotools is an extra obstacle for them.

>> Installing alternative versions of the autotools should not be so
>> difficult for people who are capable of patching the GCC source.
>
> Of course not, but what's hindering upgrading the build system tools
> when new source versions are released.

It's a lot of work. Patches welcome.

> And again, will the autotools
> ever be backwards compatible?

This is the wrong list for that question.