Re: LLVM collaboration?

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Diego Novillo <dnovillo@google.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin@linaro.org> wrote:
>
>> I'll be at the GNU Cauldron this year, feel free to come and discuss
>> this and other ideas. I hope to participate more in the GCC side of
>> things, and I wish some of you guys would do the same on our side. And
>> hopefully, in a few years, we'll all be on the same side.
>
> I think this would be worth a BoF, at the very least. Would you be
> willing to propose one? I just need an abstract to get it in the
> system. We still have some room left for presentations.

I still don't see any need for this extra BoF really.  They should be
handled at the sources of the extensions rather than the destination
of the extensions.  In fact I see this as weaking the computition
between the two compilers.  Things like the new attributes being added
for the kernel to use (in fact they are already implemented in sparse
is a thing which should be mentioned here) should have been talked
about the source.  HPA filed the bugs to GCC as he is an user of GCC
but not an user of LLVM, if someone in the kernel community wanted
LLVM support they would have filed the bugs there.

And then again the original message here is that GCC is not
controlling binutils (ld) and " ld should not accept this deprecated
instruction, but we
can't change that"  but you should have talked with the binutils
community rather than the GCC one since they are two separate projects
(though most folks work on both).

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski