Re: Problems with references in documentation

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Georg-Johann Lay wrote:
> Trying to document some new options/name spaces, I ran into following
> problem with hyperlinking inside the document.
>
> It's best explained with an example from documentation:
>
> Start at
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Variable-Attributes.html
>
> and scroll to the end of the page to section "PowerPC Variable Attributes".
>
> There is a link to "i386 Variable Attributes" written as @ref{i386 Variable
> Attributes} in extend.texi that refers to @anchor{i386 Variable Attributes}.
>
> This link targets
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/i386-Variable-Attributes.html#i386-Variable-Attributes
> a page that does not exists and redirected to
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Variable-Attributes.html#i386%20Variable%20Attributes
> (%20 is blank) so that it ends up at the page top and not at the intended
> target, which was
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Variable-Attributes.html#i386-Variable-Attributes
>
> Actually any link in onlinedocs looks like "page.html#page" and I could not
> find a single link that points to an url like "page.html#anchor".
>
> Is this a bug in makeinfo/texinfo? First I thought my local version is
> too old but the documents online show the same: Deep links are broken
> and you always start at the top of the page.

Yes, I beieve this is a bug in the version of makeinfo we are using
which may be addressed with newer ones.

See my analysis in http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2013-12/msg00010.html
for some more details.

My other fixes today were for things on our side; this one luckily
only leads to the deep aspect of deep links not working and looks
like it's not our fault.  If anyone wants to hack this, maintainer-
scripts/update_web_docs_svn could be a place to insert some magic.

Gerald