Question about CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS when building GCC

I am building a cross GCC (targeting MIPS) on an x86-64 Linux system but I
want to build the compiler as a 32 bit executable.  I thought the right way
to do this was to do:

export CFLAGS='-O2 -g -m32'
export CXXFLAGS-'-O2 -g -m32'

before running configure and make.

This is working in that it created cc1 as a 32 bit executable like I wanted
it to but when the build continues and builds libgcc, it uses CFLAGS when
it is using the newly built gcc to compile libgcc.  That is wrong because the
GCC compiler that I just built (targeting MIPS) does not understand the
-m32 flag and I don't want to override the options used when building the
libraries anyway, only the options used to build executables.

Am I setting the wrong CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS variables?  Or is this a bug?

Steve Ellcey
sellcey@mips.com