Re: Great example of why "everything is a tree" sucks

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> wrote:

> Note that we have tons of code which accept either objects or types,
> both in the frontends and in the middle-end, so changing TREE_TYPE
> from tree to something else is definitely non-trivial.

Well, sure it's hard.  This is the whole point behind Andrew's
refactoring project: setting up the groundwork for this kind of
conversion to be possible.

The software engineering atrocities that we have committed in the code
base are going to take a few iterations to fix.  But fix them, we
must.

I am convinced that this is the only way for GCC to avoid untimely
oblivion; and allow it to evolve in ways that are now hard or
impossible to implement.

Diego.