Re: [RFC] Replace Java with Go in default languages

On 11/09/13 04:12, Eric Botcazou wrote:
Right now Go does not build on a range of targets, notably including
Windows, MacOS, AIX, and most embedded systems.  We would have to
disable it by default on targets that are not supported, which is
straightforward (we already have rules to disable java on targets it
does not support).  But to the extent that there are options like
-fnon-call-exceptions that are tested primarily by Java and Go, we
would get less coverage of those options, since we would not test them
on systems that Java supports but Go does not.

Let me make the case for Ada here: it's a general purpose, highly portable
language, which is regularly built and tested on a significant range of
platforms (I personally test it on x86/Linux, x86-64/Linux, PowerPC/Linux,
IA-64/Linux, SPARC/Solaris and SPARC64/Solaris).  It exercices some features
of the compiler that aren't exercised by other languages and stretches some
common features much more than the other languages.  It turns out that it also
enables -fnon-call-exceptions by default.  It seamlessly works with LTO.
I'd kindof always dismissed Ada because it was so slow in the past and the need for an installed Ada front-end.

Note the "slow" was back in the mid 90s last time I looked at it :-0 I haven't compared it to GCJ or anything like that, but that's certainly easily accomplished.

At least for Linux systems, the bootstrapping problem is largely a solved problem by the major vendors.

Let me run some tests, this may be a better alternative.

jeff