Re: dejagnu multilib options and dg-{add|additional-}options

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 04:34:09PM +0100, Janis Johnson wrote:
> On 08/27/2013 06:52 AM, Marcus Shawcroft wrote:

> >> Ideally we would ask for that change in DejaGnu, but relying on such a
> >> change would require everyone testing GCC to upgrade to a version of
> >> DejaGnu with that fix, and I don't think we're ready to do that.
> >>
> >> Tests that add options that might override or conflict with multilib
> >> flags should check for those flags first and skip the test if they are
> >> used.  For examples, see tests in gcc.target/arm that use dg-skip-if.
> >
> > Umm, the purpose of bind_pic_locally appears to be to detect the use
> > of -fPIC and override that behavior with -fPIE.  If I understand the
> > above paragraph correctly then bind_pic_locally is fundamentally
> > broken and all of the tests that use it need rewriting to skip if
> > -fPIC or -fpic is in use?
> >
> > Cheers
> > /Marcus
> >

> That is correct.  There should probably be an effective-target check
> bind_pic_locally_ok that fails if adding -fpie or -fPIE doesn't have the
> expected result, and the tests that use "dg-add-options bind_pic_locally"
> should be skipped if bind_pic_locally_ok fails.
>
> Janis

Janis, whether we pass -fPIC/-fpic through multilib_flags or through cflags
bind_pic_locally remains to be broken. So I am wondering if it's really
necessary to go through bind_pic_locally_ok route. Instead could we just
replace all the uses of bind_pic_locally with dg-skip-if and perhaps remove
the definition of bind_pic_locally to avoid future use of it?

Cheers
VP