Re: fatal error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No such file

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> wrote:
> Far easier would be if not inhibit_libc to try to compile some trivial
> program using say stdlib.h include in libgcc configure and error out there,
> if it isn't for the primary multilib hint that either development support
> for the non-primary multilib needs to be installed or --disable-multilib
> used in configure.  That would have the disadvantage that the error would
> show up only after at least first stage of gcc has been built, but would be
> more reliable.

Any solution other than an explanation-less "fatal error:
gnu/stubs-32.h: No such file"
is fine.  There is no way to translate that message into
"Either --disable-multilib or else install glibc 32 bit development"
without coming up with the right Googling terms.  I managed to futz around
until I figured out the missing package.  It was a day later that I found out
it was all about multilib.  Putting people through such a gauntlet just because
you think a distro ought to have included glibc 32 bit development as part of
a development package is not appropriate.

So I see several choices.  Primarily, assume that more often than not, builds
are not cross builds, thus if multi-lib is not supported, likely the
build will fail
on the multilib part.  Therefore, disable it _by default_.  The user
has to override,
even if they are doing a cross build for a platform with multi-lib.
The user alters
the default if the host platform does not support it.  But anything at
all, as long
as the way forward is explicit and does not involve Google.