Re: [announce] New scalar-storage-order branch in GCC repository

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM, Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@adacore.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just created a new branch off the trunk named scalar-storage-order to
> host the (experimental) support to specify a reverse storage order (byte/word
> order, aka endianness) for scalar components of aggregate types.
>
> I will be maintaining the branch and start by porting AdaCore's GCC 4.7-based
> implementation for the Ada compiler to this branch.  Once this is done, I'll
> welcome suggestions and ideas to support this new feature in other languages.

Can you post an overview of the implementation?  Naively I'd have extended
GENERIC only and lowered all affected scalar accesses to
__builtin_bswapN (<load>) and <store> = __builtin_bswapN (...) and rely
on RTL expansion / combine to generate instructions for a target that supports
such byte-swapping loads/stores in HW.

Richard.