Re: ARM/AAarch64: NEON intrinsics in the kernel

On Tue, 21 May 2013, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:

> I am currently exploring various ways of using NEON instructions in
> kernel mode. One of the ways of doing so is using NEON intrinsics,
> which we would like to support in the kernel, but unfortunately, at
> the moment we can't because the support header arm_neon.h assumes C99
> conformance and includes <stdint.h>. The kernel does not supply that
> header.

GCC, however, does, and for Linux targets it installs stdint-wrap.h which
for freestanding builds includes stdint-gcc.h rather than depending on the
C library to provide the header.  So as long as the kernel build uses
-ffreestanding, it should not matter that the kernel doesn't have its own
stdint.h.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com