Re: Inquiry about GCC Summer Of Code project idea.

Hi!

One suggestion up-front: I think the GCC mailing lists (or generally all
hosted on sourceware.org/gcc.gnu.org) are configured to drop HTML email,
so you may want to adjust your MUA.

On Fri, 17 May 2013 00:19:17 +0300, Fotis Koutoulakis <fotis.koutoulakis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Replacing the (legacy) threadvars
> > mechanism with TLS shall not really be your project; yours is to port Go
> > (or more specifically, its runtime library) to GNU Hurd.
>
> I do understand this, but if you believe this would not take me out of my
> schedule,
> I would like to attempt this, as I am given the impression that this is
> important for the HURD.
> If you believe it would be too hard to do this along with the main
> assignment, I could scrap it
> if there would be a viable work around - or if you believe it's beyond my
> skills.

We'll see, I guess.  It definitely is low-level stuff in glibc's early
startup/early TLS initialization.

> > As an obvious preparatory task (which in a way is also present in your
> > Estimated Project Timeline, Before May 15): have you been able to
> > complete a build of GCC for/on GNU/Hurd, and (roughly) reproduced my
> > current test results, as per my notes on
>
> Yes, I am on it. Not yet finished, but I am very close to have a working
> environment on top of Debian GNU/HURD.

Please don't be shy to ask early if there are any problems.  Often, it's
easy for us to give then one hint you need instead of funbling around in
the dark for a long time.

Do you have a machine suitable to run GNU/Hurd, and powerful enough for
building GCC?

> However, keep in my mind, that my objective is not do simply "do
> something", I want to do useful work,
> so unless I am seriously time constrained, I would like to help advance the
> HURD
> by doing some infrastructure work on it.

Thanks, that's appreaciated -- and don't worry: there'll be enough things
you can work on.  :-)

> Last but not least, I would like to know if you have some other proposition
> for me. Mr Ian could have a suggestion for the go part perhaps?

I'd really like you to have a suitable GCC development environment set
up; rather sooner than later.

GrÃÃe,
 Thomas