Re: stabs changes for 64 bit targets

On Tue, 14 May 2013 10:38:02 -0400, David Taylor wrote:
> There are other reasons besides the DWARF verboseness, but they are
> solvable.  The verboseness (over 10x increase in the size of the elf
> file) is a show stopper.

People keep saying that here from time to time. You said it earlier
this year, but despite trying quite hard I've never been able to
reproduce such horrible reasons anywhere. I sent you some results of
my tests, see http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2013-01/msg00142.html and the
whole discussion surrounding it, but you did not reply.

I really don't think further changes to the stabs support should be
made at this point, other than a full re-write to mimic the DWARF
model of representing the debug info internally somehow and only emit
it at the end. That would make it compatible again with PCH and LTO,
and would *finally* make the front ends not dependent on asm target
hooks/macros. It's even been suggested to internally represent
everything as DWARF and to write a dwarf-to-stabs debug emitter.

Ciao!
Steven