Re: OpenACC support in 4.9

Evgeny Gavrin wrote:
What do you think about support of OpenACC 1.0
(http://www.openacc-standard.org/) in gcc?

I like the idea - though, I wonder whether OpenMP 4.0's "target"* would be the better choice as it looks a bit more flexible and better defined. (Conceptually, they are very similar; I think the middle-end/back-end/library part would even be the same.)

Which accelerators do you intent to handle? "Accelerator" is a rather broad term, covering DSPs, GPUs, Intel's MIC, ...

Tobias

* http://openmp.org/wp/2013/03/openmp-40-rc2/ (GCC supports OpenMP 3.1. Support for OpenMP 4.0 is currently implemented in GCC's gomp-4_0-branch - but I don't think anyone will work on OpenMP 4.0's 'target' feature soon as the enough work on the non-'target' features remains.)

PS: A nonexclusive copyright assignment to the Free Software Foundation is required for any any nontrivial code contribution. See http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html#legal - After the copyright issues are sorted out, you can apply for commit rights (write after approval status), which are sufficient to create a development branch.