Re: Could we start accepting rich-text postings on the gcc lists?

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 11/23/2012 08:12 PM, Andrew Pinski wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Diego Novillo <dnovillo@google.com> wrote:
>>> In this day and age of rich-text capable mailers, restricting postings
>>> to be text-only seems quaint and antiquated.  Are there any hard
>>> requirements that force us to only accept plain text messages?
>
> It's a reasonable compromise, I would have thought: it makes things
> easier for the reader while restricting the writer.  There are many
> more readers than writers, so this is a win.

Well, it's not actually restricting writers, as I showed in that
thread (there are others).  When the writer reaches the intended
individual recipient, they proceed to ignore the rejection message
from the list.  This is a net loss for us.

And restricting writers, may result in the loss of contributors in the
medium/long term.  We are putting several roadblocks for new
contributors.  This is not a good long term strategy for us.

Diego.