Re: Time for GCC 5.0? (TIC)

On 11/05/2012 07:43 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> writes:
Also the fact that GCC is now written in C++ seems to me to be
deserving of a bump to 5.0.

I see no reason why an internal design change that has no user visible effects should have any impact on the version number.

Typically a major version bump is reserved for either massive new
functionality or a break with backwards compatibility.
I tend to agree that major version number bumps ought to be tied to major user-visible changes.

I think dropping reload would quality, particularly if there are other major user visible changes going on. For example, significant improvements in modularity allowing for easier plugin development, major improvements in static & dynamic analysis capabilities, etc.

jeff