Re: encoding all aliases options in .opt files

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012, Manuel López-Ibáñez wrote:

> I am trying to encode the relationship between Wstrict-aliasing and
> Wstrict-aliasing= in the .opt files, and the same for Wstrict-overflow
> and Wstrict-overflow=. However, the parameters of Alias() are taken as
> strings, so we get "3" and "WARN_STRICT_OVERFLOW_CONDITIONAL". Do you
> have a suggestion how to handle this?

I don't see what the problem is supposed to be.  Yes, the arguments are
strings - they describe how one option that the user might pass on the
command line is exactly equivalent to another that they might pass (up to
and including the latter form of the option being the one that is used
when matching specs and multilibs, because the driver does the
translation, including working out the canonical textual form of the
option, before processing specs against the command line).

If -Wstrict-overflow on the command line is equivalent to
-Wstrict-overflow=WARN_STRICT_OVERFLOW_CONDITIONAL on the command line,
then specify WARN_STRICT_OVERFLOW_CONDITIONAL in the parameters.  If it's
equivalent to something else, specify something else.

> My next step would be to handle aliases also when internally
> generating options, so I can add EnabledBy(Wall) to Wstrict-aliasing.
> Does this sound ok to you?

That seems reasonable.

--
Joseph S. Myers