Re: Proposing switch -fsmart-pointers

On 10/05/2012 06:08 PM, _ wrote:

What you guys think about this?

I think we should wait if the Rust folks come up with a sound (in the type-theoretic sense) and useful (in terms of programmer burden) solution. After that, we can contemplate whether we can retrofit their solution onto C/C++. Rust is a new language, with no concern for backwards compatibility, but if it turns out that this is impossible to solve there, it won't work for C/C++, either.

In the meantime, there is the cleanup attribute, and C++ already has several kinds of smart pointers.