Contributing to the project

Dear GCC team,

I would like to contribute to the project.

I have a decent background in programming, in a number of languages on a
number of platforms, but no specific experience in developing a compiler. I
have a pretty good university education on processors, but no intimate
knowledge of any particular instruction set.

I know that approaching any big software project requires a humble attitude,
so I'd really be ready to work on any task, even the most simple/boring one at
first. Just to familiarise myself with the codebase.

Would someone indicate some easy first project to work on? Please don't just
redirect me to the list of open projects. Not sure whether that list is still
valid, and I'd appreciate a more specific proposal anyway.

Thanks in advance and regards,
Enzo Vitale