Re: Are Decimal operations are fully implemented/tested ?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> round-to-odd would be a good solution if it were provided directly
> in hardware. Otherwise a "direct" implementation would probably be
> more efficient (in particular when the implementation of the usual
> operation is done in software, like for decimal arithmetic).

It's the case for a lot of libm operations that the best implementation
for software floating point is not the same as for hardware floating point
(anything implemented using Dekker's algorithms or similar precision
extension techniques would probably better use higher precision more
directly on integers, for example).  It's also the case that there hasn't
been any actual interest in optimal software implementations for these
cases in glibc (I guess people concerned about floating-point performance
are generally using hardware floating point).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com