Re: print operand modifiers in the manual

David Daney wrote:
Mike Stump wrote:
David Daney wrote:
Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Mike Stump wrote:
Where in the manual are the machine specific print operand modifiers documented? I've looked around, and just can seem to find them; surely, I can't be the first to document such a modifier.

To the best of my knowledge they are not documented in the manual. The machine-specific asm constraint characters are documented in the manual, but I don't think the print operand modifiers are.

Perhaps they should be added to the internals manual.

Only if you move extended asms to the internals manual. :-(

I got the idea from the Constraints documentation, and for those I always looked in the Internals Manual. But now I see that there is similar, but not identical, Constraints documentation in both the GCC manual and the Internals Manual.

I am not so fluent in texinfo that I would attempt it, but it seems that these sections should be factored into separate files so that the same information can appear in both manuals and not have the current divergence of content.

I am not sure if that is a good idea.

For example, the "X" constraint is useful/needed in machine description
but not at all in inline assembler.  It is a bug to use "X" as inline
assembler constraint, and it is confusing to inline assembler authors
if it is documented.  Other constraint might be "p" that is useful in
md but not at all in inline assembler.

Similar applies to the asm print modifiers.

Any yes, the common ans useful print modifiers should be documented
in the user manual, IMHO.

Johann