Re: Merging Cilk Plus into GCC Trunk

On 09/05/12 12:09, Iyer, Balaji V wrote:

I can't speak for the rest of the community, but I think items 1-12 are useful for
GCC  (elemental functions, SIMD annotations, and array notations for C/C++),
regardless of any language extensions.  Perhaps you could provide examples on
these as a start?

I was planning to provide an example for elemental function, array notations and SIMD annotations with each patch. Is that good enough?

Yes.

Regarding the SIMD annotations, I find the "vector" attribute somewhat ambiguous, or prone to confusing users, so perhaps we could come up with a better name?

The keyword "vector" is used by the Intel Compiler and we would like them both to be compatible. Jakub at Cauldron did mention that vector keyword is used in Power PC and thus can potentially cause some interference. I configured the Cilk Plus branch for Power PC and I compiled both elemental functions and PowerPC programs that use the vector keyword. They both seem to work correctly.

Ok, I'll defer to the language experts.

Aldy