Re: New GCC takes 19x as long to compile my program (compared to old GCC), plus void** patch suggestion

On 08/10/2012 10:44 AM, Elmar Krieger wrote:
Hi Ian, hi Richard, hi Andi!

Many thanks for your comments.

  >>>  The slowdown is not the same with other files, so I'm essentially sure
  >>>  that this specific source file has some 'feature' that catches GCC at
  >>>  the wrong leg. This raises my hopes that one of the GCC experts wants
  >>>  to take a look at it. The code is confidential,
  >>
  >>  You could file a bug report with just a profile output of the compiler
  >>  (e.g. from oprofile or perf)
  >
  >  But please use a pristine FSF compiler.  You can also run the source
through
  >  some obfuscation tool.  Or get a first hint with using -ftime-report.
  >
  >  In the end, without a testcase there is nothing to do for us ...

I downloaded the latest official GCC 4.7.1, but unfortunately configure
stopped with "Building GCC requires GMP 4.2+, MPFR 2.3.1+ and MPC
0.8.0+.", and for my CentOS Linux, only older versions of this libs are
available as RPMs. I saw many hours of manual fiddling ahead, so I
suggest a more efficient solution:
I think some of those are available as RPMs from the EPEL
repository.

But installing them from  source into a location that doesn't
conflict with the default OS install is straight forward and
well documented.

--
Joel Sherrill, Ph.D.             Director of Research&   Development
    Support Available             (256) 722-9985