Re: Change default BOOT_CFLAGS for release builds

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 17:11:04 +0300 (EEST)
Dimitrios Apostolou <jimis@gmx.net> wrote:

> I got no replies, so I guess there is no will to move GCC to -O3 by
> default, so I shouldn't bother submitting a patch?
>
> As a reminder, cc1 is 0-4% faster but almost 10% bigger executable.
> Testsuite showed no regression. Bootstrap time is greater (don't have the
> numbers) but I proposed adding and documenting a "make release" target
> that would be used by distros, while default target would remain -O2 (or
> even -O1) so that our test builds complete in sensible time.
>
> In the future we could also turn on other stable ways to speed up GCC for
> release builds (e.g. lto/profiledbootstrap).

My concern would be that any bugs triggered by -O3 would not be found until
after a release is made and everyone has gone off to work on the trunk.
We usually encounter a couple of bugs that only appear with
--disable-checking every release cycle because no one uses it.

--
gcc-porting                   we were never more here, expanse getting broader
toolchain, wxwidgets               though bigger boats been done by less water