Re: Change default BOOT_CFLAGS for release builds

Hello,

I got no replies, so I guess there is no will to move GCC to -O3 by default, so I shouldn't bother submitting a patch?

As a reminder, cc1 is 0-4% faster but almost 10% bigger executable. Testsuite showed no regression. Bootstrap time is greater (don't have the numbers) but I proposed adding and documenting a "make release" target that would be used by distros, while default target would remain -O2 (or even -O1) so that our test builds complete in sensible time.

In the future we could also turn on other stable ways to speed up GCC for release builds (e.g. lto/profiledbootstrap).

Thanks, Dimitris