Re: GCC Cauldron: Notes from the C++ ABI BOF

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 6:18 AM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
> My version of Cary's notes (I just wrote this on my Google+ stream):
>
> We had a useful discussion about C++11 ABI issues at the GNU Tools
> Cauldron (http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/cauldron2012).  The approach will be
> shaped over time, but the general idea is as follows.

I could not attend the Cauldron -- even though I am in a neighboring
country :-/ (I am attending a conference.)

I met with Benjamin in Paris a week ago, and he outlined some of the
plans to me. In particular, I fully support his suggestion of having
the compiler
dump enough introspection/reflection/meta data to be able to
algorithmically decide, e.g. compute, ABIs.  As for prior work in dumping
meta data, there are many examples that we might want to consider: Java of
course, Go was mentioned, but also closely related anguages such as C#
and C++/CLI.

-- Gaby