Re: Allow use of ranges in copyright notices

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Robert Dewar wrote:

> On 7/2/2012 8:35 AM, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> > On Jun 30, 2012, David Edelsohn <dje.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > IBM's policy specifies a comma:
> >
> > > <first year>, <last year>
> >
> > > and not a dash range.
> >
> > But this notation already means something else in our source tree.
>
> I think using the dash is preferable, and is a VERY widely used
> notation, used by all major software companies I deal with!

And as a GNU project there isn't a choice between using IBM convention and
GNU convention - only about which of the GNU options we use.  The simplest
is <first-year>-2012 (for any value of <first-year> 1987 or later) and so
I am proposing we move to that (make this change to README to allow it,
allow converting files when 2012 is added to the copyright years, as is
now done in glibc, allow a bulk conversion if anyone wishes to do one).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com