Re: [RFH] Uses of output.h in the front ends

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Manuel López-Ibáñez
<lopezibanez@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, that would be the ideal case. But some target dependencies are
>> inevitable, e.g. the target CPP macros. What I'd like to see
>> eventually, is that targetm will be split up in front end and
>> middle/back end specific parts.
>
> Well, the CPP macros could be translated to builtin calls and
> evaluated by the middle-end during or after gimplification. Then the
> FE would be really independent of the back-end. Sounds crazy?

I'm not sure this would work. Say you have a target that defines cpu
models (see e.g. ix86_target_macros) and you're parsing a file that
depend on those defines. You're going to have to export those those
cpu model defines to make parsing work. I think this can only be done
with call-backs from the front end to a back-end target hook. But I
haven't look at how e.g. clang handles such things, maybe there's
another, better way.

Ciao!
Steven