Re: Deprecate 32-bits HP-PA for GCC 4.8?

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM, John David Anglin <dave.anglin@bell.net> wrote:

> The maintenance problems that occur are usually not related to the code
> generation. ?They largely occur because the target is big endian, strict
> alignment, callee copies, etc. ?The delayed branch support has caused
> many subtle bugs. ?For this reason, I don't think simplifying the backend
> will help much.

Here I disagree. IMHO simplifying any back end is a win, because it
lowers the threshold to "modernize it". For instance for HP-PA, I
would like to play with Bernd's new delay branch schedule model
(http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2011-05/msg00753.html) and that
will simply be a less daunting job if the back end is smaller. It will
also be easier to test.

Ciao!
Steven