Re: Announce - Thread safety annotations no longer supported in GCC

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Delesley Hutchins <delesley@google.com> wrote:
> The gcc version has been difficult to support and maintain, due mainly
> to the fact that the GIMPLE intermediate language was never designed
> for static analysis. ÂThe abstract syntax tree provided by Clang is an
> easier data structure to work with for front-end analyses of this
> kind. ÂMoreover, the gcc implementation of annotalysis has some issues
> that make an eventual merge into trunk somewhat unlikely, and
> annotalysis is of little use to people outside of google as long as it
> stays in google/main. ÂThe clang implementation has been in trunk from
> the beginning.
>
> Hope that explains it a bit better,

No, that it does not help at all.  This seems like a high level issue
of the problem rather than describing the reasons why GIMPLE will
never work correctly for your usage.  Maybe we can expand it for your
usage but we need to better understand what it is lacking.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski